Tuesday 21 April 2015

Nikki Jean Is Naturally Glam!


Tell me about yourself!
Hey Curlies! My name is Nikki Jean. I’m a Trinidadian gal living life in Philadelphia,PA. I’ve been natural for 3 1/2 years!  I’m a licensed cosmetologist and make-up artist. I also dibble and dabble in the hospital field in the psych ward.  I’m an open speaker and very passionate about talking to teens and adult about domestic violence, depression, rape, drugs and abuse.  In my lifetime, I have faced many different hardship and experiences, having dealt with those experiences I’m able to help others by giving them solutions and encouraging them. I seek to inspire others by teaching self awareness and self esteem. One way I do that is sharing my experience going natural. I share with the world really seeking to help one person to love themselves more, enjoy who they were created to be, and to understand their true beauty is within and the outside is only a reflection of the inside. By doing this I’m able to reach out to people I never thought I could. I receive many different messages from girls all over the US about how much I inspired them to become natural and really love themselves. I am very grateful and thankful for that.


READ MORE>>
Were you a transitioner or a Big Chopper? What was your journey like?
I was a transitioner that caved and did the big chop! I really couldn’t deal with the two textures and I also had no clue what being natural meant. I ended up rocking wigs that first year of being natural. Once I started wearing my hair out I turned into an insane YouTube fanatic! I was on YouTube non-stop trying to gather as much information I could.

Had you always embraced your texture?
Not even a little bit.  I believe since my family is so diverse, curly hair was just not the business. My great grandmother is white. My grandfather is from Venezuela, and my mom’s sisters are Indian.  I got my first relaxer at 5. Even though my hair was relaxed, when it would get washed I would always have curls. I would always ask to wear it curly, but I was told no. Relaxers ended up taking over until I got pregnant. The I wanted everything I did from there on to be organic and natural. From foods, drinks, to what I put on my hair and in my body.  Thats how the whole natural girl came about.

How did family and friends react to your decision to go natural? What was your response to them? 
When I big chopped no one knew because I was so embarrassed. I wore wigs until my son was born.  None of my friends had a problem with it, only my family, especially my mom.  She just didn’t think it was professional.  We butted heads for the longest about my hair, but 3 1/2 years later she’s accepted it. Now she lets me take care of her hair and likes to wear her hair curly, even though she is highly addicted to that creamy crack. She will never stop getting relaxers!

Describe your hair (fine or coarse, thin or thick, highly porous, low, etc.)
I have low porosity thick hair.  It’s very hard to keep my hair moisturize; that’s actually one of the hardest things I deal with now.  I have it down to science. My hair must get some type of liquid in it everyday.

What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done to your hair? 
The only thing I could think of thats “crazy” is coloring my hair (4 times) and cutting it so many times.

What’s your biggest hair related regret?
Not going natural sooner. My beauty school did not even touch on the subject or mention anything about natural hair ! My second biggest regret would be coloring my hair so much.  Since I colored it, it has never been the same texture which is probably why it's so dry.

What's your current hair routine? How often do you wash, condition, and style? Favorite products! Deets!
I try to wash my hair once a week, but sometimes I can stretch it to 2 weeks.  Sundays are my wash day. I start with an olive/coconut/grapeseed hot oil treatment that I leave on my hair for 20 minutes. I sit under the dryer.  I then shampoo with Joico K-Pak Shampoo and follow up with my homemade deep conditioner with Aloe Vera juice, Coconut Milk, Joico K-Pak Revitaluxe Bio-Advanced Restorative Treatment ( my main ingredient) followed by with my favorite oils: JBCO, Coconut oil, Avocado oil, Tea tree oil, Rosemary oil, Peppermint oil etc… I keep the deep conditioner on for 30-60 mins while sitting under the dryer. I wash that out, detangle and condition one last time with the Joico K-Pak Conditioner.  I keep my hair in 4 sections the entire time while I’m doing this process.  I then do the L.O.C.O method. Then I do a braid and curl (12 -15 braids) using all Camille Rose Natural products except an oil I make to seal which includes: JBCO, Coconut oil, Sweet Almond, and Avocado Oil.


What’s your favorite hairstyle? Where do you get hairstyle inspiration?
My favorite styles besides wearing it down and big would be up-do’s and protective styles. I’m always trying out new styles and techniques. If the styles fail or I have no time, I’m quick to put my hair in a big side puff and call it a day.

Who is your curl crush?
@foreverflawlyss, @shinestruck, @mini_marley, @nimsay8838, @etcblogmag, @itsmyrayeraye,@moknownshair , @msvaughtv,  and @donedo

How do you maintain your hair at night?
I re-braid my hair every night, going less and less with how many braids I do.  I use my curl re-freshener spray that has Aloe Vera gel, Kinky Curly leave in conditioner, oils and water.

How do you maintain healthy length?
I maintain healthy hair by trying my best to keep my hair moisturized, cutting away at any dead ends, protein and deep conditioning treatments, being cautious with heat, detangling and different types of protective styles.

What's the best thing about being natural?
The versatility of natural hair is incredibly amazing!  I can turn my hair into 3b to 4c.  The styles are endless that we can create with our hair.

Where can folks find you on the web?
Instagram - @cre8ivebeauti
Facebook - Nikki Jean

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.